Tuesday, July 7, 2015
"Cognitive Dissonance" for many sincere Christians seeking to be authentically Christlike, is the reality:
"That you can do, and be, everything right; that Christ would have you do, and be; and yet the World will still reject what you do and are; as well as Christ..."
Many times, these sincere Christians would simply rather universally blame their own Fellow Believers, Christian Tradition and/or perceived, outmoded Biblical Theology...
Jesus also said this:
If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
– John 15:18-19
Notably, the primary and great issue of DISSENSION
within the Church today,
ironically enough happens to be:
"What does it mean for a Christian to be "Christlike?"
And... therein lies our problem...
1 Therefore I, the prisoner of the Lord, implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called, 2 with all humility and gentleness, with patience, showing tolerance for one another in love, 3 being diligent to preserve the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.…
21 [I pray Father] that they may all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 "The glory which You have given Me I have given to them, that they may be one, just as We are one;…
with their respective ideology and worldview,
are affirmed and afforded
the opportunity to treat those ideologies and worldviews
as a unifying singularity... ***
In the end: "There Can Be Only One..."
the state, fact, quality, or condition of being singular.
"he believed in the singularity of all cultures"
synonyms: uniqueness, distinctiveness
"the singularity of their concerns..."
"...We must obey God rather than man."
A decade ago Governmental sanction and mandate for Gay Marriage, to be lawfully recognized, had all the appearances of a insurmountable bastion... As of today there is nothing left but the crumbled and smoldering ruins of that sentiment. This new precedent sets the stage for the next assault by the Over-Culture and Social Progressivist Cultural Elites, for this same Mandate to be recognized, followed and enforced, by ALL people, in all places and at all times... Understand, it won't happen tomorrow, but it will happen... And when it does, it will only have become possible because of SCOTUS' decision on Gay Marriage yesterday.
Right now you will hear from some "Social (Biblical?!) Social Justice Christians" and many Social Progressives say pejoratively: "There, there, [regardless how 'hateful' and 'intolerant'] your beliefs and practices on this issue are safe and unassailable... The Constitution protects you..."
Look, Presidents come and go, the Legislative Branch "evolves," and the ideological makeup of SCOTUS Justices change... It's simply naive and pollyannic to believe anything to the contrary... We are in the midst of an inexorable, winner-take-all, worldview battle, that is being won through duplicity, intimidation and sheer will and grit... In addition, as long as they have time, and we lack conviction and resolve, they will win... So, Gird your loins...
If the state eventually moves to coerced marriages for churches on behalf of the LGBTQ demographic, then we will move to a "Matrimonial Blessing Ceremony," following their marriage being solemnized by the state. For many Christians then in view of the Laws of the state and the Laws of God, it will become a two tiered process. The state will legally officiate (we will remove ourselves completely from this equation) the heterosexual marriage and our church will perform the Christian Blessing of it. Our part will not be legally binding, but for many who choose to participate, it will be for them, spiritually binding... Thus, for many of these believers, this two part process, will equate in their hearts, the completion of their matrimonial responsibilities. But I, as well as others like me, will no longer officiate a state sanctioned marriage.
Understand, I recognized that we live in a post-christian world, they can believe and practice as they see fit, but it does not follow that I/we have to assist them. Nor should we be forced to do so...
"...We must obey God rather than man."
Let's be clear...
The Over-Culture is saying: "If you (simply) BELIEVE that homosexuality etc. is wrong and sinful, you are not being loving and tolerant."
(Most) Christians who disagree with Homosexuality etc. ARE saying: "We love authenticity those who embrace homosexuality etc. but we still believe it to be wrong and sinful."
This is much of the battle line; and one of which has become inherently obfuscated... Intentionally so by some, and arrived at in an undisciplined fashion by others...
The inability for many Christians to grasp this vital distinction is mind-numbing... and I have to believe largely because of their blind, unwitting and subjective immersion in Social Progressivist ideology. Note: If, in the 1980's, it was inappropriate for Conservative Christians to be too friendly with Political Conservatives, it is most certainly inappropriate (even dire) for Social Justice Christians to be bosom buddies with Social Progressives. Both entities are inherently political.
One of the great victories of Social Progressivism within the church, is to pit the attributes of God, against each othet. E.g. Love vs. Truth; Grace vs. Holiness etc.
Finally, the issue writ large is really much bigger than just whether homosexuality and gay marriage is right or wrong. It is being used quite effectively as a "wedge issue" to alienate and delegitimize the Historic-traditional Christian community from the culture...
Christ-likeness means more than just "Grace," "Love, and "(social) "Justice;" It ALSO means obedience, righteousness and holiness... (Matt 5:18-19). Again, What Social Progressivism and Social Justice Christians have done so well, that is so demonic, is to pit the attributes of God against themselves...
Yesterday's SCOTUS decision was a watershed issue, and a MAJOR victory for the Social Progressivist UNFOLDING AGENDA, that will begin to dramatically change the course of Christian Faith and Practice permanently... It's not about whether we love those who think and practice their sexuality differently than us; but rather whether Christians will be permitted to believe and practice what they have done in a 3 thousand year old tradition... Make no mistake…
An important caveat to my earlier post regarding "Same Sex Marriage."
1. When our culture was dominated by the Judaeo-Christian world-view some decades ago there was in our representational form of government, a compelling and legitimate, "legal" argument against Same-Sex Marriage.
2. Today, ideologically, we live in a "Post Judaeo-Christian" culture; with the dominate worldview being that of "Social Progressivism."
3. Writ large (and this is very complicated) but on the whole, I don't believe that inherently Christian values should be forced legislatively/judicially; or imposed upon a non-Christian people (even if I believe they are better and more healthy); particularly when, through their value structure, they are clearly and openly rejecting them.
4. Importantly, I don't believe that issues like Same Sex Marriage can or should be argued as an inalienable Civil Right, but rather from a representational point of view. If theologically Conservative Christians are going to change the Culture (missionally) then it must be done predominately from the HEART, in theirs as well as others... Christians changed polygamy in other cultures historically, not because they changed laws, but rather because through them, Christ changed their hearts...
5. However, issues represented by the Majority, should not be license for silencing and punishing the Minority (historically this has happened from both sides). Currently the standard practice of conflating sincere and authentic dissent synonymously with "hate" and "intolerance," is quite simply intellectually dishonest and manipulative...
6. Reality: In terms of their final ideological outcomes, Social Progressivism and Christianity (as well as other faiths - not the least of which is Islam), are quite simply mortal enemies... The former seeks to worship an evolving "man-god," while the other seeks to worship a God, who would make (the faithful and obedient) man, like Him...
7. There are two great chasms emerging, (even as I write this, that are becoming deeper, wider and longer), within our culture between: A. Historic-Creedal-Theologically Conservative Christianity and the Culture ideologically dominated by Social Progressivists; B. Historic-Credal-Theologically Christianity and Christians who have syncretized and blended themselves with Social Progressivist Ideology.***
8. Long Range Prognosis for the culture as it pertains to all sides, for so many different and complex reasons... Very Poor... "Gird Your Loins..."
9. Read Ephesians 6... In regards to the "Over-Culture," It explains sooo much...
10. Regardless of what the sin and who the sinner, Christians are called to be obedient when it comes to loving one another, EXACTLY in the fullness, like Christ does and would. There can be no variance or vacillation on this principle...
***Usually through highly selective reading of scripture, as well as privileging certain attributes of Christ against other attributes of Christ. I.e. Christ-likeness means only the exercise of his (e.g.) Love vs His Truth; Grace (Tolerance) vs. His Holiness; Kindness vs. His Law (I.e. A matrix of antinomianism and autonomianism).