Wednesday, October 8, 2008

MEAN-SPIRITED BIAS

An Open Letter To The Editors of

Newsweek Magazine


While your written article on Sarah Palin was fair, I find the photo for your cover article [difficult to see here] on Palin outrageous, and clear evidence that there is no end to the limit, and the moral turpitude that the electronic and print media will do to trash anyone from the Political Right [Also See: Inside Edition With Deborah Norville - 10/08/08]

Your job is to report the news, not to invent it. To be fair, do you really want to make "physical characteristics" of all the candidates and issue for a national election? Are you so blinded by your bias and political agenda that you fail to see those who live in the red states will be deeply offended by your mean-spirited article?

The ONLY real purposes in portraying Sarah Palin, in this manner is to personally humiliate; and shallowly attempt to discredit her, merely through her appearance - just short of displaying her as a "caricature" - you call this is sophisticated journalism?

I would expect this kind of article from the National Inquirer, not Newsweek. Just remember, whom you help to elect, you will have to eventually explain and defend... Perhaps not an enviable position in say two years...

To be clear, my issue here is fairness, balance and objectivity in the discussion and portrayal of the candidates... It is not the mass media's prerogative to shape an election, because of their preconceived agendas - particularly as it is related to non-essential issues...


4 comments:

David Stamile said...

Rich, I understand what you are saying about fairness in the media. I struggle to find resources that are willing to give both canidates a fair shake and this frusterates me. However, on another note, I have heard it said that Sarah Palin repesents the return of the culture war. I take that statement to mean that her brand of conservatism harkens back to a time when Jerry Fallwell and Pat Robertson told American evangelicals how they should vote. I, for one, was encouraged when both of the presidential nominees did not seem to be hailed as the obvious canidate of choice for Evangelical Christians. Does the possible return of a another right wing, conservative, evangelical, Christian to the white house concern anyone? I find the "us v. them" attitude of this group to be unhealthy and I feel that giving Palin the white house supplies her with a platform to speak for me and I don't believe I want her doing that. I would love to hear other thoughts.

Ricky... said...

Dave,

Wow! I have no idea how the perception of Sarah Palin morphed to that idea. I've not even heard that in the mainstream media... I could see someone saying that about Huckabee... but not Palin. I sent you a much longer response to your personal email.

Janis said...

Rich,
I love your blog! It is so much more intellectual and thought provoking that most of what I'm reading at this point in my life and is much needed! I put a link to it on my blog, hope that's OK!
Janis

Ricky... said...

Thanks Janis! Loved visiting with you guys a few weeks ago! I also really appreciate your encouragement!